THE LEVY – WHAT IS IT?
The Apprenticeship Levy was introduced in April 2017 and is a levy on UK employers to fund new apprenticeships in England.
For businesses that have above a £3M wage bill the levy will be charged at a rate of 0.5% of an employer’s total wage bill.
Each employer will receive an allowance of £15,000 plus a 10% Government contribution to offset against their levy payment.
The Levy money will expire after 24 months.
Once the levy money used up, 90% will then be funded by Government with a 10% employer contribution.
THERE IS A £1K GRANT AVAILABLE FOR:
- Apprentices aged between 16-18
- Apprentices aged 19-24 who have just left care
- Young people with a health care plan
Control of apprenticeship funding will be put in the hands of employers through the Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS).
OTHER FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- There is an extra burden of managing the LEVY process leading to further direct and indirect costs
- Those organisations wishing to tender for and engage in public contracts above £10M will need to show engagement with the government’s apprenticeship strategy as part of their tender requirements
HOW CAN I GET A RETURN ON MY LEVY CHARGE?
Here at Education Star Solutions (ESS) we work closely with employers to ensure that they maximise the funding available and get an ROI on their charge.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS
- We will review with you your current LEVY charge and identify what you are able to claim back via your English LEVY service account.
- We will work with you using our organisational and training needs analysis tools (ONA/TNA) to identify your current skills gaps and strategy, future skills needs and hard to fill vacancies.
- We then review your current workforce and training budget and look at what is currently eligible to be funded via an apprenticeship.
- In addition we will examine how to use the LEVY within your supply chain and other organisations.
HOW CAN I DELIVER APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING?
You may want to consider becoming a registered training provider. Here at ESS we are able to guide you through the whole process so that you are able to deliver your own in-house accredited apprenticeship training.
ESS can advise you on what your responsibilities are as an Employer Training provider:-
- ESFA:-Understanding what the ESFA expects from a training provider
- Data:- You will be required to maintain accurate data
- Ofsted:- Understanding the Common Inspection Framework and how it relates to your apprenticeship programme.
- Process and Procedures:- Ensuring that your internal systems are robust and effectively support your apprenticeship programme
Becoming a Registered Training Provider click here.
ENGAGING WITH REGISTERED TRAINING PROVIDERS
You may already be engaging with a training provider or are considering expanding your training provider supply chain network.
ESS is liaising with thousands of training providers and is able to assist and manage the process of identifying the right quality strategic training partners for you that will be the best cultural and organisational fit for your organisation.
IS THERE OTHER FUNDING AVAILABLE TO HELP ME?
YES THERE IS!
The government is continually awarding public funding to accredited training providers to assist companies with their organisational recruitment and training needs.
If you have a current training provider they may not have access to all the many types of funding available to you.
You may be eligible to apply for this funding if you become an accredited training provider.
Alternatively ESS can introduce you to training providers who currently hold different types of funding that have been quality assured and are the best cultural and organisational fit for your organisation.
Please contact us on 01977 705203 or Get In Touch using the online form if you wish to receive further information.